Online learning with the MSB
There are various sources of online learning available to professionals, practitioners and volunteers who work in Manchester.
Whilst we recognise that this type of training will not meet the needs of all, it is an increasingly popular method of learning and is particularly suited to volunteers; those working non-standard hours; or those whose role requires them to have a broad overview of their responsibilities in safeguarding and what to do if they have concerns.
Online learning has many benefits including:
- flexibility – taking place at a pace, place and time to suit the learner;
- a high quality and consistent message to learners;
- learners like it;
- it is cheap to provide – meaning we can cover more.
Online learning with the Boards
The MSB provides over 50 online learning courses with our partner Virtual College (Safeguarding Children e-Academy).
These courses can be accessed via manchesterscb.virtual-college.co.uk
On this site learners can self-register for online learning and access the full range of safeguarding courses. The registration process is straightforward and requires each user to create their own login and unique password. Virtual College is supporting the registration process and their contact details are available on the website manchesterscb.virtual-college.co.uk.
If you need Basic Safeguarding Training please complete ‘Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect’.
If you need to complete a Refresher Basic Safeguarding Training please complete ‘2015 Refresher – Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect’.
The MSB is very keen for learners to complete ‘Safeguarding Children from Abuse by Sexual Exploitation’.
All courses can be requested via the Requested Learning Tab on your learner record, once you have self-registered.
Online learning is provided free of charge to statutory organisations and members of the voluntary, community and faith sectors whose representatives provide a service for, or come into contact with children, young people and/or their families in the City of Manchester.
For staff working for a private organisation there will be a charge of £25 + VAT per application. The general guidance for charging private organisations is that if your organisation charges for its service then you will be charged for online learning.
Please note that a charge of £25 + VAT will be applied to anyone who fails to complete the online learning programme within one month of requesting an online earning training course.
For more information or to register go to the website manchesterscb.virtual-college.co.uk.
Topics covered in our online learning:
- Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect – Core
- Basic Awareness of Domestic Abuse including the impact on children
- Child Accident Prevention
- Children’s and Young People’s Development in Health and Social Care Settings
- Collaborative Working: A Whole Family Approach
- Common Core of Skills and Knowledge
- Communication in Health and Social Care or Children’s and Young People’s Settings
- Cultural Awareness in Safeguarding
- Duty of Care in Health, Social Care or Children’s and Young People’s Settings
- Early Child Development – Foundation
- Equality and inclusion in Health, Social Care or Children’s and Young People’s Settings
- E-Safety – Guidance for Practitioners
- Hate Crime
- Health and Safety in Health and Social Care Settings
- Hidden Harm – The effect of Parental Drug and Alcohol Misuse on Children
- Information Sharing Level 2
- Integrated Working: Information sharing for the lead professional
- Parental Mental Health
- Personal Development in Health, Social Care or Children’s and Young People’s Settings
- Risk Assessment in Safeguarding
- Risk Taking Behaviour
- Safe Sleeping for Babies – Reducing the risk of SIDS
- Safeguarding and Leadership
- Safeguarding Children and Young People from Abuse by Sexual Exploitation
- Safeguarding Children in Education
- Safeguarding Children with Disabilities
- Safeguarding Everyone – Protecting Children, Young People and Adults at Risk
- Safer Recruitment
- Safer Working Practices
- Self-harm and Suicidal Thoughts in Children and Young People
- Short Breaks for Disabled Children
- Strategic Managers in Integrated Working
- Supervision and Appraisal in Early Years Settings
- Teenage Pregnancy
- Understanding Pathways to Extremism and the Prevent Programme.