Practitioners who work or volunteer with children & young people

These pages are for anyone who works with children, young people and their families in Manchester, in either a paid or voluntary capacity.

You can search for advice, policies and procedures by topic in our Resources Hub.

How to report your concerns

Manchester City Council and its partners have a Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) that screens all contacts concerning the welfare or safety of a child or adult.

All concerns about the safety or welfare of a child, young person or adult must go through the Manchester Contact Centre.

Referrals – Instead of making a written request, practitioners should ring 0161 234 5001 and you will get through to specialist social care and early help staff.

You’ll be able to discuss your request promptly, efficiently and securely – and will be able to access social work advice and guidance about the next steps and the right option for the child and their family.

This cuts down on your time writing a referral letter;

  • It gets the right help quickly for the right situation;

  • It’s safe, reliable and gives you extra support with a decision through an informed conversation;

  • It uses social workers’ time the best possible way.

No paper, no panic, just people  – trained professionals on the end of a phone who, like you, all want the best for our children and families.

You can help to make the most of the conversation by having the following details ready:

  • The child’s presenting needs;

  • What you have already done or where you have accessed support;

  • Ensuring that you have consent from the family to talk to us.

Early Help Practitioner Zone
Guidance and resources for practitioners, including the Early Help Assessment Form and Levels of Need Framework and how to contact the Early Help Hubs can be found in the Early Help Practitioner Zone at

What to do if someone is missing from home or care

Children and young people may be absent from where they should be for many reasons, not least wanting to spend more time with their friends. But this could put them at risk of harm and any prolonged or repeated absence can be caused for concern.

In such circumstances parents and practitioners need to respond and act on concerns. Runaway Helpline has a free 24/7 confidential helpline 116000 or visit their website

Find our more in our missing children resource.

What to do if someone makes an allegation

If someone raises concerns about a person working with children and young people you must take the allegation seriously and treat it in line with agreed procedures.

Find out more about our allegations management resource.

Early Help for children & families
Early help means intervening early and as soon as possible to stop problems emerging.

Lots of useful information for professionals working with children and families can be found in Manchester City Council’s Help & Support Manchester (HSM) directory.


Got a question?

Use our quick Q+A to find commonly asked quesitons.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

View our resources page

Latest News and Training & Events

We try to keep our newsfeed as up to date as possible and feature items of interest to practitioners and volunteers across our partnerships




Anyone who has been affected by the suicide of a loved one knows how devastating ...



The Manchester Safeguarding Partnership (formerly Manchester Safeguarding Adults ...




Date:  Thursday 3rd October 2019      Time:  2 -3.00 pm (1.45 pm Registrat...



Date: 11th February 2020Venue: LeedsNext year's conference will explore ...


GMFRS logo
nwas logo
CPS logo
Christie logo
Cafcass logo
GMSP logo
hw_manchester logo
Macc logo
PAHT logo
MFT logo
mhcc logo
NHS England logo
CRC logo
NPS logo
GMP logo
Barnardo's logo
MCC logo
Manchester Safeguarding Boards