Advice for adults with care & support needs

This page is for anyone over the age of 18 who cannot always protect themselves from harm and may need care services because of mental illness, physical impairment or learning disability, age, illness, or personal circumstances.

What is safeguarding? 
Safeguarding means protecting your right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. There are different ways in which people can be harmed or abused. For example:

Physical abuse – where you are hit, kicked, pushed or suffer any kind of physical harm. It is not OK for anyone to hurt you.

Sexual abuse – where someone touches your body without you saying that it is OK, or where someone makes you take part in, or watch sexual acts that you don’t want to, or make you feel uncomfortable. It is not OK for anyone to touch your body unless you say they can, or to make you look at or do something you don’t want to.

Financial abuse – where someone takes your money, property or other things that belong to you, or makes you sign for things like loans that you don’t want or don’t understand. It is not OK for anyone to take your money, or your property, or to get you to agree to anything about money that you don’t understand.

Emotional abuse – where someone shouts at you, says nasty things about you, threatens you or makes you feel scared. Its not OK for anyone to bully you.

Neglect – where someone who should look after you doesn’t do what they should and leaves you without the care and support you need. The person who should look after you might be a friend or family member or a paid carer. It is not OK for anyone who should look after you to leave you cold, hungry, wet, soiled, without your tablets or dirty.

I am worried about myself or another adult

If you are worried about something that is happening to you, or to someone you know, services will work with you to make sure that you, or they, are safe.

You will be treated with respect and listened to.

In an emergency call 999 or call Manchester Contact Centre on 0161 234 5001

I am missing from home or care

Greater Manchester Police will help you if you are missing and you want to make contact with loved ones or get help.  Call them on 101 or visit the nearest police station to talk to someone.

If you are missing from home or care, or are thinking of going missing, visit the Missing People website  or call or text them for help on 116 000 or email You can text them even if you have no credit left on your mobile phone.

Get help from Greater Manchester Police

These links will take you to Easy Read information from the police:

  • How to report something to the police Click here 
  • Who else can you contact if you need help Click here 
  • You are arrested Click here to find out what will happen
  • Travelling safely Click here to read about travelling safely
  • Identity theft Click here to read advice on identity theft
  • Visitors to your home Click here to read advice on visitors to your home
  • Domestic abuse Click here to read advice on domestic abuse
  • Keeping secrets Click here to read advice about keeping secrets
  • Safety when out and about Click here to read advice about safety while out and about
  • Internet safety Click here to read advice about internet safety
  • Protecting your home Click here to read advice about protecting your home
  • Restorative Justice Click here to find out about a way to put things right when someone has been harmed or upset.

What happens if I ask for help?

This is what you can expect if you tell services about harm or abuse to you or someone you know:

  • You will be asked about what you want to happen and they will do their best to make sure that it does
  • You will be provided with any help and support you need to report abuse, and you will be involved in everything that happens
  • You will be provided with information about what abuse is, how to recognise the signs and what you can do to seek help
  • You can be sure that the professionals will work for what you want and will only get involved as much as needed
  • You can be sure that professionals will treat your personal and sensitive information in confidence and will only share what is necessary to get the best results for you
  • You will understand the role of all the people involved in supporting you.

Stop Adult Abuse: Cheshire East Service User’s spoken words
The Service User subgroup of the Cheshire East Safeguarding Adults Board have created a spoken word video working with the Axis Arts Centre at Crewe Campus, Manchester Metropolitan University.

The spoken words focus on the service users own life experiences and send a powerful message to Stop Adult Abuse.

Please see the link to the “spoken word” video the service user group for the East Cheshire SAB have made – the group are keen to share this far and wide


Got a question?

Use our quick Q+A to find commonly asked quesitons.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

View our resources page

Latest News and Training & Events

We try to keep our newsfeed as up to date as possible and feature items of interest to practitioners and volunteers across our partnerships




An important piece of work to assess the use of the Greater Manchester Safeguard ...



The Trapped campaign will be formally launched at an event in The Factory Youth ...




Virtual College have recently created a free online course designed to help fron...



Date: 28th November 2017      Time: Registration is at 13:30 for the briefing...


GMFRS logo
nwas logo
CPS logo
Christie logo
Cafcass logo
GMSP logo
hw_manchester logo
Macc logo
PAHT logo
MFT logo
mhcc logo
NHS England logo
CRC logo
NPS logo
GMP logo
Barnardo's logo
MCC logo
Manchester Safeguarding Boards